Ideas. Strategies. Challenges. Opportunities.
Every business has them. But not all businesses handle them the same way. At 3M, the Strategic Business Development (SBD) program is at the forefront of finding innovative solutions to bring the company success in the disciplines of Business Development, Strategy and Marketing.
Working as an internal strategic consultant in the SBD program will provide you with in-depth opportunities to work within our five big businesses that operate on 40 technology platforms in more than 65 countries. SBD’s collaborative, non-rotational environment allows you to interact with the same team of peers over a two-year period, allowing you to build a strong network and providing sustained opportunities to learn from your peers.
SBD is a two-year MBA leadership development program designed for highly-talented MBA candidates who have a strong desire to:
- Lead individual consulting projects that contribute directly to 3M’s growth
- Gain in-depth exposure to a broad range of markets, technologies and industries in a global business arena
- Consult with Executive Management, across the company
- Utilize SBD’s rich network of 45-plus current members and 100 alumni in management positions globally
- Participate in a variety of functional, mentoring and leadership experiences that will enhance your personal and professional capabilities
We look forward to meeting you.
SBD will participate in on-campus recruiting at the following MBA programs. Please check your MBA program’s recruiting schedule for date and time specifics.
- Dartmouth College, Tuck School of Business
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business
- Harvard Business School
- Indiana University, Kelley School of Business
- MIT, Sloan School of Management
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
- University of Chicago, Booth School of Business
- University of Michigan, Ross School of Business
- University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management
- University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
Q: How do I apply?
A: Submit an application by the deadline to your MBA career services office. If we don’t come to your campus, submit your cover letter and resume via the Contact Us form. In addition, you can apply to SBD through two national conferences: National Black MBA and The Consortium.
Q: What is the interview process?
A: Submit a resume and cover letter during the resume drop window. If selected, you will be asked to interview with one of our team members. Internships require two rounds of interviews, which both take place on your campus. For full-time positions, the first round occurs on campus, the second at our 3M campus in St. Paul, MN.
Q: How do I prepare for interviews?
A: Interviews mix behavioral and case questions. SBD case questions are shorter and go into less depth than a typical consulting case. The questions are designed to gauge your skill set across SBD’s three areas of practice: Strategy, Marketing and Business Development.
Q: What qualities are you seeking in a candidate?
A: Leadership, goal orientation, initiative, integrity, professionalism, innovation/creativity, adaptability, collaboration and ability to deal with pressure.
Q: When are you on my campus?
A: Check the recruiting calendar at your MBA career services office.
Working in SBD is a unique opportunity to consult internally for one of the most well- established and diversified Fortune 100 global companies.
We hope you will consider joining SBD.
Full-time roles – SBD Supervisors
Supervisors in 3M's Strategic Business Development department have completed their MBA with an emphasis in marketing, finance, strategy or general management. Supervisors typically stay in SBD for two years before rolling out into one of 3M’s 35+ divisions.
Summer Internships – SBD Interns
Supervisors in 3M's Strategic Business Development department have completed their MBA with an emphasis in marketing, finance, strategy or general management. Supervisors typically stay in SBD for two years before rolling out into one of 3M’s 35+ divisions.Strategic Business Development internships take place between the first and second year of an MBA program and have an emphasis on finance, marketing, strategy or general management. Interns work 10 to12 weeks and are normally assigned three projects for the summer.
- Minimum of three years work experience in marketing, consulting, finance, strategy, engineering, business or sales
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and high ethical standards
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and team skills
- Superior quantitative and analytical skills
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.A.
Submit an application by the deadline at your MBA career services office. If we don’t come to your campus, submit your cover letter and resume via the Contact Us form. In addition, you can apply to SBD through two national conferences: National Black MBA and The Consortium.